If you have been looking for an elegant wedding photographer, no doubt you have probably come across every imaginable style and photography technique currently in use for weddings today. Elegant wedding photography is certainly a difficult concept to describe and will vary greatly from person to person as it’s a descriptive term open to interpretation and not a definitive style. As such, elegant photography will be a personal choice based on your wedding photographer’s style, personality and end product. Below are a few tips to help you find a truly elegant wedding photographer
- When looking at the website of a photographer, really take the time to examine their portfolio page or main images they display. A wedding photographer will put the images they are most proud of front and center on their site. This is where you can really find the core style of your photographer. Of course, wedding photographers realize this as well so some (not all) will really work those photographs to look their absolute best but it may not be representative of what they deliver, so that brings us to our 2nd point.
- After you find a wedding photographer whose work is along the lines you are wanting for your wedding, you should setup a time to meet them in person. Ask to see an entire wedding, as delivered, to a real client so you can better understand their style and the type of imagery they deliver.
- Take notice of the experience you have immediately after that initial contact. Their demeanor, their dress, the pen they use, the materials they have and everything else you can see or hear are all indications of the experience you will have with this photographer. While this does not necessarily pertain to their actual photography, it is indicative of their general practice and, when talking about truly elegant wedding photography, that mindset will permeate throughout their business.
- Now that you have all of this information – a good feel for their photography, their offerings, personality and general information, you can much better decide if they fit your definition of elegant wedding photography. You will probably notice pricing is not mentioned yet – for good reason. Pricing an elegant wedding photographer generally should be your third step after determining their personality and photography. After all, while you may love their photography, if their personality does not make you comfortable then their photography, while elegant, would be difficult to come by for your wedding as you would not be yourself. Likewise, if you love their personality but not thrilled about their work, then you will also be disappointed. Pricing should only come in once the first two criteria are met.
- One stylistic note about elegant wedding photography. Very rarely does it ever follow trends or whats in style. True elegant wedding photography is timeless, iconic and not reliant upon and of the latest or greatest advances in photography to make itself standout. Strong composition, subtle yet striking lighting and clean processing are the trademarks of this style.